Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 21:11:56 EST

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Fix Exists But Isnt Merged
> --------------------------
> Finish sorting out VM balancing (Rik Van Riel)

And Juan Quintela and a few other #kernelnewbies folks.
The patch seems ready and better than 2.2 or 2.3 has
ever been. I'm currently testing stuff and it looks
quite good, but as usual beta testers are wanted to
see if it works on all workloads.

Please try the patch at:
     http://carpanta.dc.fi.udc.es/~quintela/kernel/

> To Do
> -----
> VM kswapd has some serious problems

See above, this seems to be fixed ;)

I seem to have found a new problem, though. It looks like
SHM segments sometimes are not detached on a (forceful)
process exit, leading to a SHM segment with nattch > 0
but no corresponding processes. This requires a reboot...

(I guess the only thing that enabled me to test this was
that the rest of the VM subsystem is now stable enough that
I could run a ipctst so heavy that it was just _thrashing_
the system and would be doing so under any VM subsystem ;))

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/