Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 00:47:28 EST

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> To Do
> -----
> IDE fails on some VIA boards (eg the i-opener)

Should be 99% stable as of pre2 but need to preserver ATA-66 set timing
bit......OOPS......

> Find out what has ruined disk I/O throughput.

Possible combination elevator conflict with disk hardware.
If internal device write buffer cache sorting is enabled, you have double
labor for a single task. The rules for the elevator may conflict with the
drives look-ahead/read-ahead tables on the drive (OEM rules apply).

> Use PCI DMA by default in IDE is unsafe (must not do so on via VPx x<3)

Should be cleaner or fixed in pre2

> Use PCI DMA 'lost interrupt' problem with some hw [which ?]

This may be a result of poor mainboard pcb layouts.
The random use of gpio's (which is allowed) WRT to OEM specifications
could be causing 99% of the problems

> To Check
> --------
> Multiwrite IDE breaks on a disk error [minor issue at best]

Gurr......

> ACPI/APM suspend issue - IDE related stuff ?

Very likely :-(
There are no docs that state the rules of APM/ACPI suspends.
Thus I have created "hwif->speedproc(drive, speed)" that is in pre2

APM/ACPI calls

hwif->dmaproc(drive, ide_dma_off_quietly);
drive->init_speed = drive->current_speed; /* not advised */
hwif->speedproc(drive, XFER_PIO_SLOW);
DO_SLEEP_THING........
DO_WAKEUP_THING........
do {
        ide_delay_50ms();
} while (IN_BYTE(IDE_ALTSTATUS_REG) & BUSY_STAT);
if (drive_is_ready(drive)) /* verification */
        hwif->speedproc(drive, drive->init_speed);
if (drive->current_speed >= XFER_SW_DMA_0)
        hwif->dmaproc(drive, ide_dma_on);

Something like this could work.
Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy