Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 01:04:16 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Blu3 wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > And that's a bug which way? Yes, we have multiple mounts now. Yes, fs is
> > busy until you undo each mount (obviously). Yes, you can mount over the
> > mountpoint. You are getting precisely what you are asking for - operation
> > used to be illegal, but now it's perfectly OK. So it succeeds. What's the
> > problem?
>
> It's a matter of surprise. I can easily imagine the point and click user
> tapping their icon to mount numerous times expecting to see the cdrom or
> floppy spin and see nothing all the while not realizing they are compounding
> the mounts. Be it their cdrom, it won't eject until they have unmounted the
> right mount with a cwd set. I vaguely recall several gui mount utils that
> store the mounted/not mounted status within themselves and likely break.

So fix them - not to mention the fact that GUI suid-root anything is a
_really_ scary idea, if application wants to have <foo> done at most once
it should not call <foo> the second time.

> This leaves a frustrated (gui) user most likely rebooting and swearing at
> Linux because he can't get his cdrom out.
>
> Why the change in expected behavior, why allow the same mount to happen
> numerous times?

What does "same" mean here?

> BTW, the FS busy is broken. If I mount the floppy on /floppy and /mnt, edit
> /floppy/file in one term, /mnt/file2 in another term, I can change to
> a third term and unmount both /mnt and /floppy even with the files still in
> use.

Very funny... Kernel version, please? If files are indeed opened - that's
a bug. If editor had opened the file, read it and closed - well, nothing
to do here.