Re: [Toshiba IDE DMA BUG] Pinpointed version

From: Bernard Wei (bwei@home.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 02:46:40 EST

I have a Satelite 4020 CDT Laptop (96MB) running 2.3.99-pre6 kernel with
no problem whatsoever. However, I did experience the DMA problem
described with 2.3.99-pre8. All 96MB is used. The only side effect of
the 2.3.x kernel is that after using the laptop for a while, memory aren't
freed (as reported by top) even after all application are exited.

The DMA problem shows up then I play Heroes of Might & Magic 3 on it.
I'm not sure why, but thought you may want to know this. BTW, the cpu
is Pentium II 300.

Lee Mitchell wrote:

> Dunno if this is of any use, but i have a Toshiba 40?? CD laptop (Satelite)
> at work, sorry, can't remember the exact model No.
> Its a 400MHz Celeron with 64 megs of ram and about 4 gigs of hard disk,
> cd-rom & 800x600 Dual scan display.
>
> I found that with the 2.2.x kernel supplied with redhat 6.1, the machine ran
> ok, but on the 2.3.x kernels it would crash at random under heavy load. I
> eventually noticed that reguarly one of the registers displayed in the oops
> would contain nothing but FFFF's, so i thought i'd try telling the machine
> it only had 60 megs of ram to see if that fixed anything, and, sure enough,
> running 2.3.99-pre6 with the Lilo append="Mem=60M" line, its not crashed
> once.
>
> Maybe you are having the same problem. It showed up when under heavy load,
> ie kernel compile or starting loads of big x apps. Worth a try at least ?
>
> Lee Mitchell
> www.spamtastic.demon.co.uk
> lee@spamtastic.demon.co.uk

Bernard Wei                              -o)
bwei@home.com                 o)  o)     /\\