2.3.99-pre9-2 very unstable.

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 09:17:28 EST

Hi guys,

Here is easily reproducible kernel hang - no syslog messages, no clues,
happens in X only, can't switch to console, AltSysRq-B reboots but the
sync and other sysrq keys don't.

Step 1. Have a directory with a reasonable amount of .jpg files - say 35,
each 1280x960 (just downloaded via gphoto from digital camera).

Step 2. display 'vid:*jpg' &

Step 3. Load one image, then go back to the index, then load
another. After one or two such "Load/Next" events - it will hang.

By 'it' I mean the kernel and not X, of course, because the machine is
dead both from outside (networking) and inside (console switching,
Alt-SySrq, except B).

The X server is SVGA using Matrox MGA G200 AGP in 1600x1200 (32bpp, depth
24). The only tricky thing I did to it was PCI bus optimization (Option
"pci_retry") - the rest is all plain vanilla Red Hat 6.2 with all things
correctly configured for running 2.3.99-pre9-2. The machine is a dual
PIII/550MHz/512M RAM on GABXD motherboard.

Even if I install kdb that won't help as I can't switch to text console
when it happens - so I probably need crashdump facility - are SGI's or
MCL's versions stable and useable against 2.3.latest?

Regards,
Tigran