Re: svc: unknown version (3)

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 11:12:35 EST

> Hi,

> I have a bunch of machines running RH6.2 and a bunch of
> machines running SunOS 5.6, all cross-mounting directories via
> the automounter. Once I upgraded to RH6.x, the linux boxes
> started getting the following console messages:

> svc: unknown version (3)

> How do I get rid of this message?

Easy. Just throw out the SunOS machines 8-).

Seriously though, the message is a result of the SunOS machines trying
to probe for an NFSv3 server. Instead of trusting what the portmapper
says, they try to send an NFSv3 command to the server. knfsd then
replies with an error, and prints out the above warning.

IOW: It is a completely harmless warning, so if the message itself
annoys you, just disable it in the source code.

Cheers,
  Trond