Re: 2.2.15 with eepro100: eth0: Too much work at interrupt

From: Dragan Stancevic (visitor@valinux.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 21:34:26 EST

On Fri, May 19, 2000, Andrey Savochkin <saw@saw.sw.com.sg> wrote:
; Hello,
;
; On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 06:05:59PM -0700, Dragan Stancevic wrote:
; > From looking at the error messages that you are getting I second Andrey's
; > mail, this is happening because the driver is experiencing problems when
; > reading the eeprom and fails to detect you PHY. Unless you have no PHY :^)
; >
; > The driver has issues with reading the eeprom, it doesn't drive the
; > eeprom serial clock correctly. By not following clock frequency
; > specification it clocks data "into/out of" epprom incorrectly.
;
; It may be some other problems...
; Original Donald's driver worked with udelay(100) until Donald himself
; replaced the udelay by a delay implemented as a single inw()!
; The available Intel's driver uses udelay(100).
; NetBSD uses udelay(1).
;
; One of Intel's documents that's slipped the curtain of obscurity mentions
; that EEPROM should work at the speed of at least 1us.
; I've been given the access to a system with EEPROM reading problems, and
; udelay(2) was quite sufficient and cured all problems.
;
; So, if you Dragan have the timing specification, I would appreciate a small
; patch fixing do_eeprom_cmd, or any other hint... :-)
; But, in any case, I suspect that the timing is not the only problem of
; Kamlesh.

You might aswell be right that Kamlesh's only problem is not the timing
issue, the thing that makes me think that he has problems with the eeprom
is his checksum 0x0 and since his PHY is missdetected he gets those timeouts
when he trys to do MDIO, AFAIK different PHY require different programmings
so maybe thet's why he is seing those timeouts, if mdio_read would give
me a location and PHY# I could tell what went wrong. Can we add that in?
Kamlesh, would you be willing to try it out if I send you a patch to deal
with it?

Back to the timing issue:
I am taking time to test out the do_eeprom_cmd patch on 82557/8/9(A/B/C)
so I can make sure it works on all sillicon steppings that I have.
I'll drop you a mail when I am done.

I have one question for Kamlesh though, can you tell when did you start
getting invalid eeprom checksums, was it after you upgraded to a certain
driver version?

I would still need your lspci, thanks.

--

-Dragan