Re: 2.3.99-pre9 ?

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 03:37:49 EST

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:23:02AM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:

> > I've been checking all the mirrors and can't find -pre9, only -pre8.
> > Is there a hidden mirror I've missed or something?
>
> pre9-2 is in the testing directory on the kernel mirrors. The 2.3.99
> kernels are really confusing since there are two levels of prepatches.
> It would be better off to just finish off 2.3.99 and start on 2.3.100
> without the messed up version naming.

Ack. I was in contact with some people who did not touch the 99-preX
series because they thought they'd be the usual pre-patches from the
testing directory. I bet that cought quite a number of people so the
version named ended up being counterproductive. Then again Linux
never had a truly coherent version naming.

  Ralf