Re: computer hangs when dd'ing from hdb to a file

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 16:51:59 EST

Pierre Cyr wrote:
> dd if=/dev/hdb of=cdimage

FWIW I had never been able to accomplish this on any IDE CD-ROM drive
faster than 4X speed... I've never had the lockup or crash you
describe, but instead I get IDE controller errors after about 70 or
100MB.

With so many more critical things to take care, I never investigated it
further... :/

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.