2.3.99-pre8 problems [3C509 ethernet] [nVidia RIVA 128 Framebuffer]

From: Christopher Curtis (ccurtis@aet-usa.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 18:23:03 EST

[* Not subscribed to LKML, please Cc replies *]

Greetings,

I've compiled kernel version 2.3.99-pre8 on an AMD Athlon 600 using gcc
2.95.2 (20000313) [Debian 2.2] for a Packard Bell 486DX2/66 with two 3Com
3c509b ISA cards. As there is no PCI bus, PCI support has not been
compiled into the kernel. The network card has been compiled directly
into the kernel, and only one is detected.

In a relatively short amount of time, the system goes bezerk displaying
one of the following messages:

eth0: Infinite loop in interrupt, status 2011.
 -or-
eth0: Infinite loop in interrupt, status 2001.

When the kernel boots, it detects and initializes only eth0, yet both hub
lights illuminate. Doing an ifconfig eth1 results in a 'device not found'
type error. This is the same whether or not I append "ether=,,eth0
ether=,,eth1" to the linux boot command line (or via LILO append).

One card is at 0x300 IRQ 10; the other at 0x210 IRQ 11. It appears to
function fine when only one of these cards is present.

I can attach the .config used to compile the kernel if needed.

A second problem I have may not be a kernel problem; I have an nVidia RIVA
128 based AGP video card with 8MB RAM. All appears to be detected
properly with the framebuffer device. I can fbset to change modes, etc.
However, the screen is not horizontally aligned properly. At 640x480 and
1024x768 (the only two I've used) the screen is left shifted about 1/2 a
character size, and placed on the right hand side of the screen, an
example:

 H EEEEE L L OOO H
 H E L L O O H
HH EE L L O O HHH
 H E L L O O H
 H EEEEE LLLLL LLLLL OOO H

Also, when displaying the boot logo, the screen flashes white, and the
area to the right of the penguin remains white while booting, and
afterwards. Other framebuffer devices I've used have neither flashed nor
have they been white to the right of the logo.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help,
And again, please Cc me personally,
Christopher