Re: panic on powermac when enabling standard serial port support

From: ttsig@pmki.com
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 23:09:20 EST

Quoting Gwyn Judd <b.judd@xtra.co.nz>:

> I kept getting a kernel panic on boot just after pppd started up.
> EVentually I fugured out it was because I had enabled "Standard/generic
> (dumb) serial support" in the character devices menu as well as "Support
> for PowerMac serial ports" in the "General Setup" menu. Perhaps these
> two items should be mutually exclusive?

Actually, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive as it would break certain
PowerMac setups such as a PowerBook with built in serial and a PCMCIA modem (I
used such a machine for a while). You didn't mention what kernel you were
using, but there is a patch that corrects this issue for the 2.2.x series (I'm
not sure if the 2.3 series has fixed this or not).

I don't have a URL handy, but looking for information on PowerBook PCMCIA
support should turn it up, since that's the most common place the problem bites.

Basically, the serial drivers hardware probing doesn't work on the PowerMac
architecture and the patch simply keeps this code from compiling on the PPC
architecture.

Of course, since most PowerMacs don't have standard serial ports there's
usually no reason to compile that support. Supporting standard PCMCIA modems
on a PowerBook is an exception to this.

Later,
Tom