Re: Help: vfs problem?

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 06:47:35 EST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Russell King wrote:

> I'm currently trying to debug some apparant IDE BM-DMA problem on the
> NetWinder running 2.3.99-pre8, but I'm not getting very far with it.

> (Note that this has been seen on the NetWinder running other 2.3.99 kernels)

> One of the more common oopsen (cut down to the bare essentials) is
> from within __remove_from_free_list:

> The NULL pointer in question is bh->b_next_free, which is part of the
> following line in fs/buffer.c:__remove_from_free_list:
>
> bh->b_next_free->b_prev_free = bh->b_prev_free;
>
> Is this a known problem with 2.3.99-pre8, or could it be a possible problem?

i havent seen this on SCSI under a wide variety of load patterns, for a
long time.

> Is anyone willing to say outright that this could not be a generic
> kernel bug?

well, nothing is sure, but we havent had bugs in buffer.c free list
management for a long time. There was nothing changed substantially in
that area. (the VM changes might change timings, but certainly not the
core buffer-cache primitives.) To me this does look like (IDE) IO-related
memory corruption or access to already freed structures.

        Ingo