2.2.15 + IPv6: serious bug when removing aliased interfaces

From: Pekka Savola (pekkas@netcore.fi)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 10:45:50 EST

Hello all,

I just found a serious bug in 2.2.15 (probably also previous versions,
didn't check) w/ IPv6 and IP Aliasing support compiled in.

Do the following when networking works fine:

ifconfig eth0:5 1.2.3.4
ifconfig eth0:5 down

whoops. ifconfig deleted *all* eth0 routes, including the default route.

Also, after that, funnies start to happen (e.g. when trying to add the
routes back, it says eth0 isn't active or some such).

If I disable IPv6 from the kernel, recompile and reboot, everything works
just as it should.

Tested on two RH62 boxes, one with ~vanilla 2.2.15, the other w/ redhat's
2.2.14-12. Using net-tools 1.55.

HTH, Regards,

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"