Re: IDE-SCSI in 2.2.1[45]

From: Christopher Thompson (chris@hypocrite.org)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 11:16:51 EST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, you wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 12:04:08PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> > I have now downloaded the 2.2.14 tarball from ftp.kernel.org
> > three times, and the listing shows the three tarballs as being
> > the same size. However, md5sum reported DIFFERENT checksums for
> > the last two downloads, and only the last download shows the
> > options as quoted.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I no longer have the faulty download - I did the
> > md5sum on it prior to overwriting it with the third download -
> > but I would LOVE to know how it is possible to get DIFFERENT
> > files of the SAME length in this way.

By the way, I had this problem a while back. Downloads would end up being the
right size but with different md5sums. I also had Linux crash on me from time
to time.

This was because I had problems with my memory. The top 64 megs were
defective. I determined this using memtest86. Once I replaced the memory
(and, unfortunately, reinstalled Linux as I had corrupted a lot of stuff),
everything worked great.

Other symptoms: Netscape crashed more often than I was used to. :) Windows
registry kept on getting corrupt. Compiling a new Linux kernel often crapped
out part way through with an error but I could then continue from that point.

--
Christopher Thompson  http://hypocrite.org/