Re: A few questions.

From: Rakesh Mathur (rakesh299@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 04:14:40 EST

tigran-

thanx much for the pointers.

> The only software tool required for Linux kernel
> development is gcc (and
> all the friends like gas/binutils etc) which is part
> of GNU and AFAIK
> Cygnus (now Red Hat) was mainly responsible for it
> (with contributions
> from others of course, as becometh all good GPL
> software).

i kinda disagree here. there are *lots* of tools that
make kernel development very easy like user space
kernels, dual boot kernels, tools wrapped around
/dev/kmem etc. of course, the ones you list normally
suffice...

> Linux Magazine (not to be mistaken with Linux
> Journal) seems to have had
> recently quite a few very nice (and uptodate!)
> articles by Alan Cox which
> was the main (well, only) reason I subscribed to it.

thanx. i will look into that.

> Yes, Alan Cox wrote Documentation/smp.txt and
> smp.tex but, as with any
> document on Linux kernel internals, it is out of
> date. The way to
> understand Linux/SMP architecture is from bottom up
> - i.e. first read
> Intel MP v1.4 specification and imagine what a
> typical implementation
> would look like, then read arch/i386/kernel/*.c and
> understand the
> concrete implementation; then read the SMP
> primitives (spinlocks, IPIs
> etc) and understand how to use them. Then, reading
> the way the primitives
> are used in particular contexts (process context,
> irq, bottom half
> etc) and noting the differences (and also reading
> Documentation/spinlocks.txt) will give you some idea
> on the assumption
> Linux kernel makes when running on SMP. I guess that
> is what you meant by
> "SMP design of Linux"..

yes, that is what i meant. i would like to understand
how smp support has been factored/designed into linux.
and, would like to identify potential areas of work
for scalability/performance/testing. have you come
across any such review? have there been any
scalability/performance benchmarks for the 2.3.*
series?

thanx again,
--rakesh.