Re: 8259A initialization with AMD SC520 chip (586)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 07:12:45 EST

> > Then my 386 breaks. Sorry you lose. My 386 is AT compatible your system
> > is broken.
>
> No, no, your 386 does not break. This is absolute diatribe.

You want to come here and see. My old 386 box requires the delays when
accessing the timer chip otherwise it is erratic. My old 386 is AT compatible.
It has the odd fit if you touch the interrupt controller fast too.

We have recent technology DEC laptops that require timing delays on the
keyboard controllers are honoured for that matter

You might suggest using udelay() here but unfortunately we cannot calibrate
udelay until the TSC is programmed so that is out too.

The timer setup is the one place where 'switch to udelay' isnt the answer. I
wish it was because I would be glad to use udelay() there ot help.

[Not that it does help because an IRQ during the setup will randomly break
 the programming - I assume AMD thought of that ???]

Alan