Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Benchmark Suite

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:08:33 EST

I'd really love it if this effort got started. I have a huge backlog of
lmbench submissions that I have not processed and put up on the web. I
just don't have time these days but the data is there.

Furthermore, I've done a lot of work like what you are proposing and I'd
like Linux to benefit from that, but I can't start a project to do that.
On the other hand, if there are people who want to work on it, I can
certainly help focus the efforts. I've literally spent years doing this
sort of thing at SGI & Sun and it seems a waste that I'm not passing on
that knowledge/experience. So I'll help if someone else wants to drive.

--lm

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 11:45:12AM -0600, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> Start with lmbench.
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 07:03:27PM +0200, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Because of the recent performance problems with the latest kernels and all
> > the discussion around, mostly based on "the machine feels sluggish"
> > instead of "this version has a 13.5% drop in large writes to [...]", I
> > feel that a standard Linux kernel benchmark suite should be made. I've
> > already seen people using programs named "bonnie" or otherwise, but those
> > only test specific features of the kernel. Besides, I wouldn't know whom
> > to send the results of those tests too if I were to help and run these
> > benchmarks on my machines. So I suggest creating LKBS:
> >
> > - includes test programs the kernel developpers have written
> > - runs somewhere early after booting (perhaps by starting it instead of
> > /sbin/init, or in a seperate runlevel)
> > - records all relevant data from the machine (kernel version, config, cpu,
> > memory, drives, etc.)
> > - puts all data together in easilly parsed (both human and machine
> > ofcourse) file and sends it to a main benchmark repository
> > - should be free for download from a natural place
> > (ftp.kernel.org, package for your $DISTRO) and easy to install/run.
> >
> > I don't know what you think of it, or if there already are such things. If
> > not, I'd happily volunteer to start this project.
> >
> > Met vriendelijke groet,
> > Guus Sliepen.
> >

> > -
>
> --