Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Benchmark Suite

From: J. Robert von Behren (jrvb@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 14:53:06 EST

Guus -

This definitely sounds like an excellent idea to me. I'd be happy to
help out, so if you'd like a hand in organizing this, setting up the
benchmarks, or creating the site for the benchmark results let me know.

IMO, there are two comparisons that would be really useful in helping to
pinpoint performance problems or bugs in the kernel:

   1) tracking how different kernels perform on a stationary hardware
      platform (ie fixing all hardware variables)
   2) looking at the difference between different hardware platforms for
      a given kernel

It would also be very nice to link to lists of changes between versions,
to help people figure out _why_ performance certain changes in
performance occurr.

It might makes sense to move a discussion of this off the kernel list.
I'd be happy to set up a discusion list for this - just let me know if
people are interested.

-Rob von Behren