Kernel 2.4 delay

From: Markus Pfeiffer (profmakx.fmp@gmx.de)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 09:59:02 EST

Hi folks!

Iīve been following this list for quite a while now and I am worrying
about the integrity of the "soul" of Linux. As linux grows more and more
popular and companies try to make money out of it ( they always try to
make money out of everything, you could even tell them "Hey itīs cool to
have a pile of crap on your harddisk and it would sell ... ) but now on
to my comment. As I read about people who want more and more features in
2.4 because its sooooo necessary for companies or even other issues I
get really angry. One, namely Linus can once stabilize the features,
bring out 2.4 and then happily go on to 2.5. The story goes on, and if
the dev-cycle becomes shorter then, new features will be in new kernels
at least as fast as now ... I dont understand the issue of forcing
features into development kernels ... itīs unproductive ... especially
CAPP security features and other crap ... ok sorry itīs necessary but go
on to 2.4/2.5 now without putting more and more things into devkernel
and not knowing how it goes on.
Here the hand of god-linus should tell these people : Stop! Now its
stabilizing time everything else later !! One doesnt need to complicate
the devcycle with two devkernels and all these proposals which are
thought of well but too complicated.
Keep it as simple as possible, but no simpler ...

Till then

Markus Pfeiffer

--
# The light was brighter