Re: Initialization order of PCI devices

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 11:32:25 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:

> jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com said:
> > Unfortunately since your change only supports PCI drivers, it does
> > not allow us to completely ignore/eliminate a user-specified ethX
> > ordering
>
> Isn't that policy?
>
> {Sh,C}ouldn't it be done in userspace with SIOCSIFNAME?
>
> Devising a raceless scheme for doing this with the current implementations
> of SIOCSIFNAME and init_etherdev() is left as an 'interesting' exercise for
> the reader :)

To be honest if you can eliminate the need for ordering ethX drivers in
the kernel, I would be happy. I'm just not sure you can... you might
need a special ethX order if you have multiple cards and want to do a
netboot, or use NFSroot.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.