Ancient kernel TLB IPI WAIT

From: Rick Stevens (rstevens@publichost.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 12:20:09 EST

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I have a system that has been
misbehaving a bit. It's a RedHat 6.0-based system (2.2.5-15 SMP) that
has recently been locking up hard about once every 6 days or so.
The last messages in the syslog are "stuck on TLB IPI WAIT (CPU#0),"
although sometimes it's CPU#1 that complains.

Unfortunately, I'm never around when this happens (invariably around
1-4 in the morning), and we don't have a serial console on it. I
was curious as to what this message means, so I can either fix the
hardware (it's the only system of about 10 that does this), update
the OS (planned, but this is a live server) or fix the application
that causing it (probably OpenLDAP).

If you want to take this off-list and contact me privately, that's
fine...I don't want to pollute the bandwidth here if it's a stupid
problem or, as in all likelyhood, I'm at fault here.