Re: shmget() failure

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 14:24:01 EST

Ron Forrester wrote:

> Since upgrading to the pre series of kernels, I am getting this
> message from several different apps, even after rebuilding them. For
> instance, apache refuses to start putting the following message in the
> error log:
>
> (22)Invalid argument: could not call shmget

Yes, you didn't search hard enough ;) shared memory is handled on a virtual
filesystem and must be mounted now.

put this or similar into your fstab:

# grep shm /etc/fstab
shmfs /dev/shm shm defaults 0 0

If you use devfs, remember to add the following to your first stage boot
script.

# grep shm /etc/rc.d/*
/etc/rc.d/rc.S: mkdir /dev/shm

It is not required you mount it in /dev, you can put it where you want.
-d