RE: killall -9 does not work !?

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 17:23:02 EST

> If there isn't swapping and a process is stuck in down, then
> something has deadlocked and needs to be fixed.

---
	Is it just 'down', or should there never be an 'unkillable' user-level
process?  I.e. -- in SunOS, you could mount NFS as intr, or not.  Basically
if you were mounted 'hard' and didn't specify 'intr', you couldn't
interrupt a process with kill -9 that was trying to access a hard mounted
filesystem.  So even if your sever went down -- you couldn't kill it.  This
is consistent with the unix paradigm of a single fs write being indivisible.

If you specified 'intr', you could kill -9 or control-c out of the read/write.

Does Linux not have a similar semantic for NFS? Would it have such a 'special case' anywhere else?

-l