Re: Linux I/O performance in 2.3.99pre

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 09:35:01 EST

>From: Zlatko Calusic <zlatko@iskon.hr>
>Date: 24 May 2000 11:17:30 +0200
>Subject: Re: Linux I/O performance in 2.3.99pre

>Yes, you are right. I tested performance with different parameters to
>elvtune, and it definitely improves rewriting speed if I put bigger
>numbers. In fact with 1000000/1000000/128 it is back to 2.3.42 results
>(rewriting speed ~9.2MB/s).

Now, *this* is interesting. I was getting 18MB/sec (IBM UltraStar 10K)
under 2.3.51, and I can't get close to that under 2.3.99-anything.

So: (1) where do I get elvtune ? (2) it sounds as if this should work
without the classzone patch, meaning that the pre9-pre2+quintela fixes
for VM plus elvtune might get me back to a reasonable level of
performance. Andrea - any thoughts on this ?

>While at it, could you explain what are write bomb logic and latency
>numbers? What do they define?

I'd love to know this as well.

--p