Re: pre9-4 OOM VM lockups

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 12:24:48 EST

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> > > The only time when it went wrong in 2.2.16pre3 was when the X server
> > > got killed and thus the graphics card was left in an unpredictable
> > > state. In the next test I shut down X first and all was mostly fine.
> >
> > So if I understand it correctly, Rik's OOM Killer still hasn't been
> > merged into the standard kernel ?
>
> I thought it had been. It just can't guarantee the
> identification of the real hog. It is just better with than
> without.

It's not in the kernel. At the moment I'm not pushing to get
it included either since identifying the point _where_ we run
out of memory is really hard...

Once VM is rewritten a bit, I'll probably try to have the
OOM killer included into the kernel.

About VM: I've written a number of proposals for VM changes to
the linux-mm mailing list (http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-mm/),
but seem to never get any reactions on my plans ... this means
I could start implementing stuff, but maybe I overlooked some
critical thing. ;((

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.