Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 21:27:57 EST

[John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>]
> Patches *to* cmlcompile and cmlconfig would presumably be in Python,
> and the Makefile for these programs would include a freeze step.

I know, I still don't like it. Including generated files in a source
distribution is just wrong, when avoidable. (I even dislike seeing
files generated by lex, yacc and autoconf, although I fully understand
the practical reasons why so much software ships with them.)

It bloats Linus's tarballs, bloats Linus's patches, and (depending on
whether Linus wants to take responsibility for generating the freeze
files) could bloat people's patches to Linus.

> Are you under the impression that CML2 is a subset of Python, or that
> it's interpreted by the Python interpreter directly, or something?

No, I understand what CML2 is. Eric first brought it up on
linux-kbuild a few months ago. I even agree with most of where he's
going with it. My main objection is the Python tool dependency -- and
the attempt to deflate it by saying "but if you must, you can also ship
basically-binary-equivalent C code". To me that's not a very practical
answer.

Peter