Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:01:29 EST

Peter Samuelson <peter@cadcamlab.org>:
> If it really turns out to be that simple, someone can go and rewrite
> the whole business in C. (You know, like ksymoops.) When Eric first
> brought his proposal to linux-kbuild a few months ago, we made him
> promise to draft a full language spec (as opposed to just a RTSL spec).
> This is one reason -- so it can be reimplemented accurately.

I feel impelled to note that the kbuild guys didn't "make" me promise
that -- I would have written a careful language description anyway
because I just *do* things that way. It's called professionalism, or
something.

--

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -- Robert A. Heinlein Time Enough for Love