Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:03:22 EST

Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org) writes:

> > I don't run X, think it's evil as hell, and love my
> > faster-than-a-bat-out-of-hell curses stuff, and would hate to have to
> > butcher the hell out of this stuff so that it doesn't look for the X
> > libraries at startup...
>
> Me too but I do have X libraries installed -- it's just too handy to
> use distribution binaries and a lot of Debian is linked against xlib
> even where X is optional. (It's Debian policy in fact -- if you *can*
> configure with X support, you should, and if you expect that to be a
> problem, you can provide a secondary package without X.)

That's *stupid*. What about all those cool linux-router-in-a-box-boot-off-a-folppy
sort of distributions? They sure can't use Debian...

I've got an old 486/50 laptop that's got a couple of PCMCIA network cards in
it, doing routing/NAT stuff between my home LAN and an ADSL line, and it works
perfectly. It all boots off of floppies, and I'm working on getting it to
boot off of one. It would be impossible if all my stuff were linked against
xlib.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc