Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:43:01 EST

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:45:50PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Basically, because managing memory by hand for this kind of application is more
> pain than I want to go through. And the resulting program in C would be far
> more complex and bug-prone.
>
> A wise craftsman uses the right tool for the right job. I actually made
> a run at coding one of the early versions in C; it was a bad idea.
> Python is the right tool for this job.
>
> I'll supply make productions to freeze C sources from the Python. They
> can, if Linus so decides, be part of the release mechanics.

This thread is turning nasty.

Could people please keep in mind that the real work Eric has given
us here is a language specification for CML2. The Python script is
simply a reference implementation and it is entirely irrelevant in
considering the actual merits of CML2.

If CML2 looks like a winner then it would be no real effort to get
a C version up and running. In the meantime, complaining about the
reference implementation is like complaining about the size of the
cup holders in a revolutionary new electric car.