Re: IP_ALIAS bug in 2.2.x

From: Kurt Roeckx (Q@ping.be)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:15:40 EST

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:41:04PM +0200, Cougar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the reason of removeing alias interface after shutting it down. In
> 2.0.x (tested with 2.0.38) kernel it was possible to set it up again

We were just discussing this too.

There appear to be 2 problems. ifconfig upto 1.35 (net-tools 1.46) behave
differently then the newer versions. The old versions will work like
expected.

ifconfig will open alot sockets, for each protocol. The old versions used
the first opened in the ioctl(), the new the last opened. We have a patch
for that if you want.

Then there is the kernel problem. It seems to react differently on the
socket type the ioctl() was called with, and this shouldn't happen if you
ask me. The problem is that it downs the whole interface, instead of just
the alias, atleast in 2.2 and 2.3. You're the first to say that it works
normal with 2.0, but with what version of ifconfig?

I think some people think it should be fix in userland (ifconfig), but I'm
for fixing it in the kernel. I don't know enough about the kernel to do
this. I've looked at the source, and saw that there where 2 ioctl()'s
doing 2 different things. I think the best sollution would be to only make
one place do it.

Kurt