Re: (reiserfs) Re: any chance we could dump the 64k subdirectory limit before 2.4 ships?

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 22:23:56 EST

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 08:46:24PM -0400, Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
> Notice that use of old stat(2) will be rather dangerous - if you are
> getting low 16 bits you are screwed, since many programs make assumptions
> about the relation of st_nlink and number of subdirectories for directory
> inodes. Even more will be very surpirsed seeing st_nlink==0.

setting st_nlink==max when it overflows should be fine. Actually only a
small number of programs relies on the nlink =~ number of subdirs, I can
only think of find and treescan at the moment, and both have an option
to switch it off, since for many existing filesystems this assumption is
broken anyway.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|