Re: Linux 2.2.16pre5 - NFS?!

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 22:37:58 EST

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > I'd like to get the VM stuff sorted out over the next couple of
> > > pre patches and the drivers to be solid and merged up by then
> > > ready for a real 2.2.16.
> >
> > Trond, Neil, and Dave Higgen have NFS rock-solid. Could we please get
> > it into 2.2.16? Please?!?!
>
> How many thousand testers on how many OS's ? I have Trond's small
> lockup fix in. That'll do for now. There are reasons for doing 2.2.16
> promptly or I'd be willing to try the new NFS patches

If you need a good testbed, we've got one for you here, I think. Albeit
only having about a thousand users, we have an NFS setup involving
NFS-servers running Solaris 8 (for the home-disks) Solaris 2.6 (for the
scratch-partition), AIX v4.3.1 (for our program-sources and
security-related information/distribution) and Linux Debian Gnu/Linux
(for our jukebox playing MP3's in our computer-lab) and we can set up an
Irix NFS-server too, if such tests are needed.

Client-wise we have Irix, AIX, Solaris (2.6 and 8, and some older
SunOS-release which I can't remember), Irix (several releases), Linux,
and, if such tests are requested, we actually have got a NeXTcube running
NeXTstep...

We've tried v2.2.15 + some set of NFSv3 patches we found (can't remember
which one), on our Web-server (http://www.acc.umu.se), but we had to
revert to NFSv2, as the server simply hung otherwise. It didn't oops or
crash, it just hung, remaining pingable but nothing else.

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </