Re: Actual environment size comparison of CML1 and CML2

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 02:22:54 EST

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>:
> > Sure does. Until you start thinking about the actual numbers attached
> > to various possible alternatives. Here are some byte sizes I
> > collected from my Red Hat 6.2 system and the 2.3.99pre9 kernel tree:
> >
> > 4,971,072 Python 1.5.2
> > 16,290,796 Perl-5.00503
>
> ... it looks like I'm going to take it, after all:
> Package: perl-5.005-base
> Version: 5.005.03-7.1
> Section: base
> Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/base/perl-5.005-base_5.005.03-7.1.deb
> installed-size: 1328
>
> So, Eric, did you really mean what you had written or IJHBT?

I mean what I said, but now I'm wondering what kitchen sinks got
thrown in the RPMs to make my installation that big. I presume your
1328 installed size is in kilobytes? Then we might be looking at a
2.7M advantage for Perl -- but I gotta wonder if that base package
includes stuff like DataDumper or Tcl/TK which CML-2-in-Perl would
actually need.

Wait, it *can't* include Tcl/TK -- it would have to be at least 2M to
do that. Thump! Scratch one straw man. Want to try coming up with
more realistic figures?

--

To stay young requires the unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods. -- Lazarus Long