Re: Actual environment size comparison of CML1 and CML2

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 02:44:34 EST

> > > 4,971,072 Python 1.5.2
> > > 16,290,796 Perl-5.00503
>
> Wait, it *can't* include Tcl/TK -- it would have to be at least 2M to
> do that. Thump! Scratch one straw man. Want to try coming up with
> more realistic figures?

A few observations:

    a) I liked where Viro (I hope it was he) was going with the comment made
       a while back that said the real problem wasn't in the config language
       but was in how it was applied. I'm probably saying it wrong but that
       sentiment seemed like it was worth following up. If it is true, then
       this whole discussion is a solution in search of a problem - anyone
       care to comment on that?

    b) ls -l /usr/bin/perl5.00503
       579352 Dec 17 08:19 /usr/bin/perl5.00503
       Which is low I'm sure, but not by much - many distributions break perl
       out into it's package and then all the other glop into a CPAN package.

    c) I've sort of become soured on perl (for the same reasons I'm soured
       on all scripting languages - the maintainers can't keep their bloody
       hands off the language so it is impossible to build long living
       scripts that don't get broken; contrast with SunOS 4.x binaries
       circa 1990 which run just fine under recent Solaris, dynamically
       linked even); but that's sort of a side point. The real point is
       that is pretty likely that perl is installed and a lot less likely
       that Python is installed, so if the goal is to help newbies, then
       picking a tool which is likely to be around is worth some thought.
       Maybe not a lot.

Overall, I'd say point (a) is the one to focus in on. I'm sure Eric has a
very nice little language all designed, but it is gong to be a nice little
language that isn't going to be well understood by someone else. So when
it breaks (and it will break, Python upgrades will see to that, just as
Perl upgrades would), then we all hope Eric is around to tinker with it.
Seems like maybe it's solving the wrong problem.

--lm "Personally, all I wanted was Page-Down/Page-Up/Tab to work in
      make xconfig"