Re: linux-2.4.0test1 through linux-2.4.0test1-ac2

From: Andrey Savochkin (saw@saw.sw.com.sg)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 02:53:42 EST

Hi,

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 03:18:41PM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Curiousity: we only ever seem to see these out-of-mem reports for
> eepro. Why not for the other drivers as well?

A good question :-)

To be honest, most network drivers do not handle such conditions well and
just hang. At least, it was so in old eepro100 drivers, and I remember such
reports (and fixes) for tulip and some other ones.

I think it is very useful to receive explanations from the kernel
why your network communications hang or you see a high packet lost.
Don't you think so? :-)
At least, the messages helped me a lot to debug the OOM situations and
recovery.

So, the eepro100 reports are the call to other driver maintainers to do the
same :-)

Best regards
                Andrey