Context switch for CPU bound processes

From: root (p.losi@lombardiacom.it)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 06:13:51 EST

Hello everyone,
        I'm studying kernel sources and I didn't succeed
in finding an answer to the following question.

Suppose we have 2 processes contending for CPU.
Both processes execute a busy loop in userland (no syscalls).
How does the kernel preempt the executing process
in favour of the other one. If I'm not wrong do_timer doesn't
do this: it cannot call schedule() because of the interrupt
context...

It would be very nice from you if you could give some pointer
to the code where this issue is coped with within the sources
of 2.0 2.2 and 2.3 versions.

        Thank you very much
                Paolo Losi

p.s. please cc the answers directly to my e-mail address since
I'm not subscribed to the list.