Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 15:00:00 EST

In article <linux.kernel.3930881C.AD2F1891@quark.vpplus.com>,
Brian Gerst <bgerst@quark.vpplus.com> wrote:
>Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> > only partially applied. Advansys.c was the part that wasn't applied. I
>> > can shave off almost 100k from it by dropping stuff for earlier that
>> > 2.2.x.
>>
>> Advansys maintain the driver as a single common module. Last I heard they
>> wanted it left like it is, and since they do the maintaining who are we
>> to bitch 8)
>
>With all the junk still from kernels as ancient as 1.2.x? Ugh. That
>driver is the single largest C file in the kernel, weighing in at 687k.
>If they feel they need to maintain the drivers for kernels that old then
>the source is still available in the old kernel's tarball. There comes
>a point when we can't continue to carry this cruft forward anymore.

     ``we'' aren't carrying this cruft forward. _Advansys_ is carrying
     this cruft forward, and if they want to properly maintain their
     device drivers why stop them from doing so? Their code would
     probably be a lot smaller if there was a published stable device
     driver interface, but that's not going to ever happen in the
     baseline kernel, so there's nothing that can be done about it.

                   ____
     david parsons \bi/ Pity the UDI people seem to have trainwrecked.
                    \/