Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 06:47:59 EST

On 28 May 2000, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> cate@neper.ethz.ch (Giacomo Catenazzi) wrote on 28.05.00 in
> <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005281022020.18157-100000@neper.ethz.ch>:
>
> > On 27 May 2000, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > > The Debian dependencies are written in control file syntax, not in C++.
> > > The (proposed) kernel dependencies are written in CML2, not in Python.
>
> > But we don't want a tool like dpkg/dselect: complex to mantain, hard to
> > add features and impossible to have it bug-free.
>
> There's two reasons for that:
>
> (1) Programming style
> (2) Circular and versioned dependencies
>
> (2) is not a problem for the kernel, and (1) is certainly avoidable.

Do we REALLY want to avoid programming style?! :-)

> > I think that CML2 with Python is a step better that dselect (also because
> > it has simpler rules: no version checking,...).
>
> Compare with apt-get, not dselect. Dselect is *old*. Much has been learned
> since it was written.

I'm all in favour of a new configuration system, anyway, and CML2 looks
like it fits the bill pretty well. Having the first implementation written
in Python shouldn't be too much of a problem; if someone really needs
another implementation later, no doubt it will get written soon enough.

Right now, IMO, the important thing is to get something which actually
works, even if it's written in Word macros...

James.