Re: Slow development cycle

From: Kenneth C. Arnold (kcarnold@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 15:55:31 EST

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 09:16:59PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Coming... yeah right. Identify a few issues that *somebody* *is* *not*
> > *already* *working* *on*, and I'll see what I can do...
>
> Things on my list Im sure nobody is tackling right now:
>
> 1. Check everyone in maintainers/credits actually still has a working
> address.

Hmmm... I could do that if everybody could stand a flood of PING-ish mails...

> 2. Fix the defxx (if you happen to have fddi and the right board)

I _wish_ I had fddi :)

> 3. Making syncppp use the new generic ppp code (if you have a sync
> card handy)

Don't...

> 4. TB multisound needs debugging if you have such a board

Don't...

> 5. Clean up the NCR5380 driver and make it SMP safe

What's not SMP safe about it? Anyway, I don't have an SMP board to test...

btw, do a grep of the source tree for LINUX_VERSION_CODE. The 2.2 checks are
explainable, but I see in that very driver:

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= LinuxVersionCode(2,3,17)
#include <linux/spinlock.h>
#elif LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= LinuxVersionCode(2,1,93)
#include <asm/spinlock.h>
#endif

Why keep that? Should this get cleaned up? And also there are several ways
used to check the versions -- LinuxKernelVersion(x,y,z),
Linux_Kernel_Version(x,y,z), and the straight numbers in some cases,
to name a few. Clean these up? Okay, I'll work on it.

> The big big one right now is probably to use the USB stuff aggressively
> and report problems/fix them. The USB stuff is almost there but it really
> does need lots of people using it who are prepared to chase down oopses
> they get and fix the locking and other little glitches left.

So that's what 2.4.0 through 2.4.4 are for. The distros won't pick it up
until ~ 2.4.5 anyway.

Kenneth