Re: Slow development cycle

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 17:38:04 EST

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 10:19:30PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:

> > > Hmmm... I could do that if everybody could stand a flood of PING-ish mails...
> >
> > Hrm. I was thinking of something similar, but with a little more
> > "optimisation" - I was going to build a script to list all MAINTAINERS
> > e-mail addresses, then grep the last month or two of linux-kernel mail to
> > see which have been used recently.
>
> Why bother? It'd just be a Reply+Send on their part, occupying no more than
> .5 seconds.
>
> But I'd probably wait a few days, checking off using my little script some
> of the common people (e.g., Linus, Alan, Tigran, Peter Anvin, etc. to name
> very few).
>
> Should it be just maintainers, or all people with credits?

I've just run through the MAINTAINERS file checking the "M:" entries, and
89 out of the 170 addresses listed haven't been used on linux-kernel this
month.

As a one-off, the time taken for each developer to confirm the address is
valid is fairly trivial, but with a good enough script, we should be able
to check most of the addresses fairly frequently. (For example, any
address with Demon Internet of the form @user.demon.co.uk can be checked
by looking for a DNS entry user.demon.co.uk.)

Some addresses will always need manual confirmation, of course, but a
mostly automated check could be quite useful, IMHO.

James.