Re: Slow development cycle

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@cats-chateau.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 18:50:14 EST

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:
>WARNINGS / DISCLAIMERS:
>
>* Although this is a topic that could start a flamewar, please don't.
>* If this has already been discussed before (i.e., in _recent_, _applicable_ history), just point me
>there and be done with it.
>* I'm a relative newbie to Linux (only ~ 2 years)
>
>My issue is with the length of time between stable kernel releases. Take USB for example. 2.3.x had a
>relatively stable USB implementation for a while, but other messes prevented
>USB support from going into a stable kernel for how long? Two years after
>Windows 98 had support?

umm ... did you want it to work too?

>My proposal is to shorten the open development time
>a lot. Feature freeze after maybe 2 months, not 2 years (exact numbers are
>disputable, but on that order of magnitude). During the next month or month and
>a half, extensive testing, and no new features, period. The big patches will
>keep coming nevertheless (e.g., the big VM patch and the stat() changes as
>discussed earlier), but they should not even be considered to merge into the
>frozen kernel. Then, during the open development time for the next devel
>kernel, all these patches can be integrated and fought over. But stop fighting
>over it after the freeze.

That isn't enough time. Remember, a lot of the developers work on their own time
and are not paid. This can cause a lot of time gaps where they just can't work
on it. This also means that short cycles also cause rework since they can't
keep up easily. (thats my problem)

Short version cycles also mean that there are few distinguising features that
will show up in a version.

Besides, the short cycle IS being done - thats what the x.y.z numbering is for.
The z field changes very rapidly (especially in the development versions). The
even y field values are for stable feature releases. The x field for major
feature updates.

>Comments? Suggestions? Cold fire?

 Get a MUA that does mail properly. I don't care to edit incoming messages
 just to get them readable....