Re: UnixWare versus Linux, and 2.4 i686 PAE mode

From: Warren Young (tangent@cyberport.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 10:02:16 EST

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> "If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
> make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
> happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
> administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
> happy."

I wasn't talking about Joe Wordprocessor, I'm talking about people who
actually need admin tools.

Look, why all the objection to this point? It's a simple fact: right
now UnixWare has better GUI admin tools than Linux. Whether they make
admins more productive or whether most admins need them or anything else
like that is _completely irrelevant_. I'm simply stating a fact. How
much it matters and who it matters to is a separate issue: the reader
brings that analysis with them, it's not for me to provide.

> > Hot swap PCI, multipath I/O, HBA/NIC failover, ccNUMA on IBM/Sequent and
> > Unisys boxes.... Enough?
>
> No. Most of it (if not all) is in development/developed. They are not included
> in 2.4 though. It's not lack of "extremely tight platform integration". It's
> just "platform immaturity" - quite a different thing.

It could be argued that if Linux had stuck solely to the x86 like SCO
has, it'd be farther along on that platform today. I'm not suggesting
that this be done, but just offering it as one reason why SCO is farther
ahead in some ways.

> Simple sample: in linux drivers all unneeded on locks in driver are nullified
> and on SMP they are inlined. You CAN NOT do this with binary interface. Thus
> if you need good support for 8-way (16-way 32-way) system you INEVITABLE

Good point. I'll mull it over before I do the next edit.

--
= Warren Young, maintainer of the Winsock Programmer's FAQ at:
=     http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/