Re: Actual environment size comparison of CML1 and CML2

From: Raul Miller (moth@magenta.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 10:52:28 EST

Eric Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Yeah? So what? It's still part of the space cost of xconfig.
>
> Apples to apples.

You left out the cost of installing siod, mercury, gforth, and java.

The problem isn't the cost of any one environment: the problem is the
cost of introducing new environments. This is a "catch-up" cost, and
it can hit developers rather hard.

Also, historically, I've had far worse problems with tcl portability,
across versions, than with perl portability. I don't know why this is,
and don't know if it will happen again, but it's probably the biggest
reason that I've been abandoning most of my tcl scripts and rewritting
them in perl. [That, and I find that perl's on-line documentation is
more accessible and complete than tcl's.]

--
Raul