Re: matrox+history+xoff=fbcon/linux crash?

From: Petr Vandrovec (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 13:51:11 EST

On 29 May 00 at 11:57, Benson Chow wrote:
> - Single CPU kernel doesn't crash on this machine
OK.

> - VESAFB on Matrox MilleniumII appears to work fine.
Yes. VesaFB does not use accelerator, so it is not vulnerable to
reentering - at worst you'll get one wrong character on screen...

> - removal of spin_[un]lock_irq[save|restore] from printk.c appears to also
> clear the problem but slows things down(??? this doesnt make sense).
It should not slow down... It looks like that someone tries to say you
something. Maybe oops traces you are getting could reveal something to me
(feed them through ksymoops and send them to me personally).

> - I appear to have hardware trouble, and the computer is oopsing with
> "NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU0" and CPU1
> followed by "console shuts up..." (but computer is still operational after
> the oops)
Or - your machine locks somewhere else - and with console_lock in printk
it died in printk and could not print anything - now you are getting
message. Stack trace is also interesting in this case.

> The matrox/smp crash have several corrupted characters on the screen when
> it crashes...
It means that painting procedure was reentered - X/Y position of character,
and its color is painted as character body. And character body is interpreted
as commands - boom.

> Anyone else have this configuration and can verify the crash?
Hmm. It is quite reproducible here on dual PIII SMP G400 too :-(
Probably it is time to start using 'video=scrollback:0' again...
Has anybody local filesystem which does not need fsck after kernel crash?!
                                        Petr Vandrovec
                                        vandrove@vc.cvut.cz