Clustered access to RAID filesystem locking?

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 11:10:33 EST

I'm messing around with some nice new hardware. I'm not quite sure how
I'm going to have it setup in the end. Part of that depends on what I
find with these experiments.

Basicly I have 2 motherboards with builtin SCSI. Both of these
motherboards are in one case with access to a 3 channel external RAID
controller module. I have connected one channel of the controller to the
array of drives, and the other 2 channels to the 2 motherboards. I have
enough flexibility with the controller to divide the storage provided by
the array of drives in half and only allow each motherboard to see their
half.

What I'd like to do is allow both motherboards to be able to read and
write to a shared area of the array. Obviously 2 seperate systems writing
to the same file at the same time would be a bad thing. So I need some
sort of machine independant file system locking.

I don't think any filesystem driver that ships with the kernel supports
this. Are their any filesystems that support this at all? Where can I
find the patches for one that does? This machine isn't going into active
use for a while, so this will give me some time to play with this, and
possibly get some testing in for the author of the filesystem.

Thanks,
Chris

--
...and sometimes, late at night I get these twitches.  Like dead people get.
(Or, as I prefer to call them, perfect computer users)