Re: [patch-2.4.0-test1-ac4]linux-2.4.0-test1-ac4+grub

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 12:48:26 EST

okuji@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp said:

> Thanks for your report, but I don't think this problem can be solved
> in GRUB, since you may pass unusual parameters with the "mem" option
> to the kernel (such as "no-hlt") and so GRUB cannot interpret what you
> specified in a reliable way. IMO, the Linux kernel should allow the
> user to override a parameter by just appending the same option.

The fact that Grub passes an incorrect mem= parameter in the first place,
which needs to be overridden by manually adding the second mem= option, is a
Grub bug.

I have systems on which the kernel manages to detect the amount if memory
perfectly, but Grub still adds its mem= option on the command line.

This was acceptable when Grub's memory detection was better than the
kernel's, but now it should probably be removed.

--
dwmw2