Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Kenneth C. Arnold (kcarnold@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 20:11:54 EST

Here is a copy of my preliminary Linux 2.5 and 2.6 "big stuff" TODO
list. It is based solely on what various people have posted in replies
to my original call for TODOs. Currently this is quite badly organized.

In order to straighten out this list into something that can help kernel
development, I need some things from everyone. First, as you can see
from the top of the list, I want to prioritize the TODOs. However, not
opting to annoy somebody by rating their top priority as merely a wishlist,
I have not prioritized the entire list. So can the appropriate developers
please give me an idea (realistically) as to how important some of these
items are? In the first six items:

W = wishlist
I = important
N = needed

If you want to be more fine-grained than that, propose the appropriate
adjectives.

Of course I also need more items. I know this is crunch time for getting
2.4 out, but there are bound to be things that you can't merge because
of the code freeze. So tell me, "Merge xxx patch".

Maintainer emails and information URLs would also be helpful, though
not extremely important right now. It would be helpful for people writing
patches, though.

With that said, here's the very preliminary list (the names are the people
who submitted the itmes to me):

Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)
N Documentation
W Merge ext3
W Merge ReiserFS
N VFS changes
I Get rid of SCSI host template
I Handle replugging

Rik van Riel:
        Threaded dcache
        Better VM (http://www.linux.eu.org/Linux-MM/)
        fair scheduler (http://www.surriel.com/patches)
        (better) support for NUMA machines

James Simmons:
        Finish cleaning up the fbdev layer with a new api
        + Support cards with multiple frame buffers
        Incorporate Vojtechs input layer.
        Add real multihead support to the console system.
        Replace the cache of filenames in the VFS with a B+ tree algorithm.
        Add support to allocate very large chunks of continous memory after boot time.
        Reorganize console code
        Migrate input devices to new API

Ben Greear:
        802.1Q VLAN patch