APM suspend problem with 2.4.0test1-ac*

From: Vincent Vanackere (vvanacke@ens-lyon.fr)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 08:41:52 EST

Hi,

 My machine is a Thinkpad 380XD, PII 266MHz
                 kernel 2.4.0test1-ac5 + ALSA-CVS sound modules

 I'm having a problem when requesting suspend mode while the soundcard is
in use : the sound loops and the machine is irresponsive for a few
seconds, then I get the following message:
"gene kernel: apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state"

Sometimes it even leaves the soundcard in a very bad state and I have to
unload/reload the sound modules.

I assume this is a kernel bug, and not an ALSA one, because removing
the cli() call in linux/arch/i386/kernel/apm.c in the suspend()
function solved my problem and everything works fine again (this
was introduced in the ac-patches, I don't know what this change was
supposed to fix ?) :

static int suspend(void)
 {
        int err;
        struct apm_user *as;

        get_time_diff();
- cli();
        err = apm_set_power_state(APM_STATE_SUSPEND);
        reinit_timer();
        set_time();