Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:01:38 EST

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 03:56:10PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
> > The BSD setup is not end user friendly. There is actually only one
> > fundamental end user problem with our current setup. When a user says
> > 'I want XYZ' it should turn on everything needed to get XYZ.
>
> > If I hit my capture card option it should turn on i2c,
> > video4linux,procfs, etc
>
> The way the Nemesis 'make xconfig' does this is quite nice.

I'm not sure that this is the right way to do it. I prefer a more
profile-based approach -- I should be able to just select `IBM' then
`Thinkpad 600E' and then go and select my expansion cards. If someone
self-builds a machine, then they could start out with `Generic PCI-based
x86' and go from there; if they built the machine they should know what's
in it.

--
The Sex Pistols were revolutionaries.  The Bay City Rollers weren't.