Re: Linux 2.2.16pre6

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:26:25 EST

James Sutherland wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > I've experienced random networking lockups with a Realtek 8139
> > > fast ethernet adapter.
> > > A networking restart solves them, but they're annoying.
> > > I don't recall having them with 2.2.14, but I've noticed
> > > no changes justifying the breakage. Granted, I haven't
> > > gone hunting too hard...
> >
> > Interesting. Does 2.2.15pre17 work reliably ?
>
> I've had occasional network lockups with my 8139, as well, on an SMP box.
> (Yes, a BP6...) There are a few syslog references indicating that the IRQ
> handler has been reentered (which Donald refers to in the source as "an
> x86 bug") - related??

Well, Jeff refers to it as a driver bug. I put spinlocks into the 2.4
8139too driver... no more reentry problems.

> (My other BP6 box just refuses to talk to that 8139 at all... OTOH, it
> also refused to talk to a PCI-NE2k until I flashed in a new BIOS. And
> using the HPT366 driver, hdparm kills the box hard enough I have to reset
> the CMOS RAM...)

I saw a recent post saying that the BP6 required a bleeding-edge-latest
BIOS to work really well..

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.